Director of Construction - Completed
Our client is a well-established, entrepreneurial, Washington, DC area based privately held investor, developer, owner, and operator of residential, commercial, retail, educational, industrial, and self-storage real estate properties. Over the past 2 decades, drawing upon their deep understanding of local markets, an undivided focus and attention to project details and a track record of maximizing returns and mitigating risk, this company continues to acquire and develop assets with significant opportunity for adding value.
As Director, Construction, you will be an instrumental member of our senior leadership team
responsible for developing, implementing, and overseeing the direction and execution of construction on both current projects and future pipeline. You will implement and continuously improve systems and processes that elevate our construction outcomes relative to quality of procurement, execution, and deliveries, cost effectiveness, and adherence to schedule. In this role, you will provide overall management and oversight of bidding, procurement, execution, and deliveries. Strong leadership and personnel management skills are required for this role as you will be responsible for managing all office and field personnel and coordinating requirements of multiple stakeholders.
• Execute and oversee all aspects of the construction process on active and pending projects.
• Oversee and manage all aspects of the construction execution process to ensure best
practices are utilized and highest quality outcomes are achieved in all areas including but
not limited to:
- Job site safety; job site orderliness and presentation; job site teams and personnel
management; job site logistics and scheduling; quality of work installed.
- Coordination with design team and non-construction parties and consultants;
coordination with sales and or leasing teams; coordination with bank inspectors and
- Management of all processes related to tracking and completion of submittals,
RFI’s, and change orders; all aspects of punch list completion and final project
delivery; all aspects of warranty management and completion.
• Continually assess the project pipeline and any other possible factors to determine most
optimal construction model relative to use of third-party general contractor or self-performing
• Build out all aspects of the construction team in a thoughtful and optimal manner.
• Identify and procure office infrastructure, software, and tools in a thoughtful and optimal
• Work as key team member to understand and mitigate risk as it relates to project scheduling,
budgeting, and construction.
• Manage the detailed review of project construction documents as relates to construction type
and approach, budget, constructability, value engineering opportunities, proposed schedule
including accounting for public infrastructure installation, site-work, and long lead items.
• Regularly track and provide construction budgets and updates for project planning and
execution purposes, sourced internally and/or through general contractor and/or subcontractor relationships.
• Lead the construction procurement process, including identifying and selecting bidders,
issuance, and management of RFP’s as applicable, negotiation and contracting of work.
• Provide regular and ongoing budget, schedule, and status updates, using optimized best
practice reporting to meet range of requirements.
• Represent Company as a key team member and decision maker in all aspects of advancing
the company’s mission and short- and long-term objectives.
Key Position Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge Required:
• Bachelor’s or Post-graduate degree in related field.
• 15-25 years of relevant commercial project management experience; including managing
multiple large-scale projects and/or pre-construction projects across multiple sectors.
• Extensive knowledge of building construction, materials, and methods in addition to
business modeling and planning.
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
• Expertly skilled in reading and interpreting plans and specifications.
• Possess superior written and oral communication skills, including the ability to present
complex material in a useful and understandable fashion to diverse audiences.
• Excellent project management skills in planning, coordinating, prioritizing, and solving
• Ability to assess and identify appropriate project resources and consultant needs across a
variety of project types.
• Exceptional judgment, integrity, and discretion, and demonstrated ability to manage diverse
personnel, think strategically, and delivery tactically.
• Strong interpersonal skills with experience in stakeholder and client relationship
• Existing relationship base in the local market as it relates to personnel, general contractors,
• Ability to function as an effective liaison with development team to determine project
feasibility as relates to construction budgeting and scheduling.