Vice President, Acquisitions
Our client, a premier real estate investor, developer, and manager of creative office, life sciences/lab, and mixed-use assets, headquartered in Washington, DC, is focused exclusively on knowledge markets anchored by leading universities, health systems, research institutions, and governments that are eager to collaborate and commercialize new ideas. This group successfully harnesses the economic benefits of anchor institutions engaged with their communities by building inspiring spaces and active places for the knowledge economy. Having developed a very successful, long-term, joint venture partnership with a global investment firm controlling over $1.3 trillion in assets under management, this organization continues to grow with a dedicated effort in building a diverse and inclusive team fostering a culture of belonging and empowerment at work.
Reporting to the Chief Real Estate Officer, this candidate will be an integral member of the Leadership Team responsible for leveraging the firm’s existing platform in order to identify, negotiate, underwrite, structure, close, and strategically integrate new income producing investment & development opportunities/partnerships to the Company.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the efforts to identify and grow a nationally focused, growth-oriented, income producing, and development portfolio across the Company’s identified knowledge markets anchored by leading universities, health systems, and research institutions.
- Leverage the Company’s existing investment platform to maintain and develop new & trusted relationships with educational institutions, owner/operators, developers, investors, brokers, lenders, and other marketing sources to generate qualified investment opportunities.
- Work collaboratively with other departments and team members to execute the underwriting, analysis, and preparation of investment committee memorandums, feasibility analysis, financial structures/costs, funding commitments, diligence, and lead presentations to the investment committee.
- Lead the negotiations of all LOI’s, purchase/sale agreements, partnership/venture agreements, and/or other pertinent transactional documentation related to new acquisitions and development opportunities.
- Possess strong knowledge of the development process and be able to assess entitlement risk for ground-up development projects and change of use opportunities. Work collaboratively with the Chief Real Estate Officer in setting the project vision and leading communication efforts with all internal/external stakeholders.
- Regularly attend relevant local, regional, and national industry functions, conferences, and events in order to promote the Company’s name/brand/reputation and develop qualified business relationships and opportunities.
- Monitor relevant market research studies and stay current on industry news and trends to continually inform Company of existing/new investment strategies.
- Attentively transition the asset or development opportunity to the Asset Management Team or Development Team upon closing.
- Bachelor’s degree required with a business/finance/economics focus preferred. Master’s degree/MBA in Real Estate highly desirable.
- Minimum 10 years of progressively successful acquisition experience within sophisticated institutional investment platforms covering national exposure.
- Proven sourcing/business development experience with ability to leverage prior and/or existing network of relationships:
o Exposure to broad and complex real estate transactions across the capital stack.
o Experience having underwritten investment/development transactions across a variety of asset classes. Experience underwriting life science opportunities highly desirable.
o Exceptional ability to lead and manage multi-disciplinary teams, both internally and externally during all critical phases of the acquisition process.
- Ability to drive consensus among people while developing and nurturing relationships at all experience levels inside and outside of the Company.
- Possess outstanding negotiation and problem-solving skills. High attention to detail with superior judgement when navigating through complex deals.
- Must be motivated to thrive in an entrepreneurial, hands-on, creative environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, CoStar, Green Street, and PitchBook.
- Demonstrated experience in supporting efforts to expand diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.